7.9.10

Kyoto "Gastronomic Capital" 2:Sushi (寿司)

"Sushi" can be the most popular Japanese food that foreigners want to taste. Nowadays, it is also popular in Europe and in all major cities you can find some "Sushi restaurants". However, the quality of "Sushi" you can get in foreign countries cannot be as good as we, Japanese have in our country. The first reason is freshness and type of fish you can get in Europe. When I shopped in a supermarket in Brussels, Bournemouth and Newcastle, I was almost astonished with the poor quality of fish. Most of them had started to become black...Even when I stayed in some cities in Italy, Spain and Portugal I do not find it is as same quality as fish in Japan. In addition, we have different types of fish in the sea around Japan. I do not think they can fish the same types in the Medeterranean or the Atlantic Ocean.
So, my conclusion is that you must try a good quality of Sushi once you are in Japan.

You may think that I am saying that it is easy to get a good quality of "Sushi" in any places. Then you are wrong! I certainly do not recommend to go to "Kaiten zushi(回転ずし)", which I consider "a joke / uma brincadeira". It is a fun to watch small plates of Sushi are brought by a rotating conveyor like a factory automation. In fact, in some of this type of restaurants robots make Sushi. Even if it is a man-made, it is not by skilled "Sushi" chefs.
For lunch I decided to take Nuno to a good Sushi restaurant which I made a research beforehand! Going to a good Sushi restaurant for dinner easily cost over 10,000 yen (100 euro) in a modest portion. A modest portion may not satisfy my friend's stomach. So, we went to eat Sushi for lunch. For lunch, people tend not to spend much. Therefore, restaurants have to fight for customers with a good deal.The time beween 11:30 to 14:00 is lunch time. So, I scheduled in advanced not to miss this opportunity.
The restaurant which we went is called "Emon(えもん)". It is in the Gion district. The Chef, Mr Ajiki (安喰さん) is very friendly guy, who showed us a small inside garden in the restaurant.









Address:〒605-0066京都市東山区東大路通石橋町296-3(知恩院前)
Phone : 075-551-5585
Open :11:30~14:00 18:00~23:00
closed : Monday
Access : By BUS get off at Shijo Kawaramachi, by Metro get off Shijo Station and go along the “Shijo Dori(四条通り)" street to
the end when you see the shrine and then turn left to go north and you will find the restaurant on your right.
site:http://www.gion-emon.com/ 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home